Saturday, April 24, 2010

JOOS Cleanse - Day 19 - Not sleeping enough which has thrown me off

In the last couple of days, I've received a few emails from people stating that they're not sleeping enough, which has made them resort to eating sugary, caffeinated foods. Obviously not a surprise. This also underscores the need to get a good night's sleep.

I've noticed the same pattern for myself. While I am still eating the foods I'm supposed to eat on the cleanse, I'm eating too many of them because I need the extra energy, especially raw nuts. Plus, I'm not nearly as mindful as when I have a good night's sleep.

Following is what I wrote to a cleanser who had slipped into her old habits due to lack of sleep:

My recommendation is to BE PREPARED. Here are a few suggestions to have on hand:

1. Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snack: I don't like to talk calories, but the whole pack has 60 calories and only costs $0.99. I buy this by the case for our household because we all love it. My son brings this to school with him for lunch. They are filling and fulfilling. They are also alkaline forming, which is consistent with the JOOS Cleanse.

2. Raw nuts: True, fat absorbs more slowly than simple carbs, but it is more satiating so you have less temptation to overeat and binge. I wrote in my newsletter a few weeks ago that studies are increasingly finding that including raw nuts in your diet in moderation can even lead to weight loss.

3. Sunspire Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips: These are on our shopping list recommendations. They are also used to make the chocolate mousse, which is in the recipe section of the Cleanse Guide. I would highly suggest to have that in your fridge.

4. If you're craving chocolate, I'm starting to research Taza Chocolate. It's expensive, but that's a good thing because it may make you think twice before having another bite.

5. Vega Shake: Generally I do not like those protein powders for many reasons, but from all my research, Vega seems acceptable. It was created by Brandan Brazier, a Canadian Ironman and vegan, and it is raw and very high in protein. In your blender, add a scoop with a frozen banana and almond milk.

6. Chocolate Sorbet: Freeze unsweetened chocolate milk and a banana. You can add raw honey or a little agave if you want it sweeter. Place in your blender and instant sorbet. You can even add different frozen fruits. This recipe is also in our Cleanse Guide.

7. Pulpcakes: At least you know you're eating something healthy

If you find yourself slipping, PLEASE contact your cleanse coordinator at once. The only way we can help you is if we hear from you.

I find this topic so crucial that I'm going to include it in this week's newsletter.

Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: