Friday, January 22, 2010

Healthy Alternatives to Cow Milk? Got Goat or Sheep Milk!


My medical doctor, who interned for Dr. Mehmet Oz at Columbia Medical School, is one of the preeminent sources on nutrition, health and diet. I asked him if there were a difference between consuming cow vs. goat/sheep milk. His answer: Yes! Evidently, one of the molecular structures of one of the main proteins in milk, i.e., casein, is different. This has a tremendous effect on how our bodies metabolize or digest these milks.

This was interesting to me because, up until this point, I had mistakenly viewed goat and sheep cheese the same as cow milk. I had heard rumblings that goat and sheep cheese was healthier, but didn’t give it a second thought until the other day when I was at Whole Foods sampling a delicious Feta Cheese salsa. I was relieved to find that it was actually healthy for me..and even potentially alkaline forming, unlike cow milk.

The link below gives a great summary of the multiple benefits of goat milk (that also apply to sheep milk) and why these milks are healthier than is cow’s milk.

http://www.gardenharvest.org/milkbenefits.htm

No comments: