Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How Committed Are you to Teaching Your Children to Eat Healthy?


Last night for dinner, William, my 7-year-old-son, made hummus from scratch all by himself. The only help I provided was gathering the ingredients, taking out the Vitamix and providing him with the recipe. He did everything else. I have to tell you that it was one of the most delicious hummus I've ever had, including when I was in Israel. Even better, all four children loved it.

If you really want your children to eat healthy, then I highly recommend that you involve them in shopping with you and in the kitchen.

If that sounds like a pain to you, try it. I actually find it easier to involve them than to do everything myself. First, I don't have to nag to get them to eat it because, since they feel invested in it, they have more of an incentive to eat it.

All four of my children started cooking when they were 2 years old. They feel comfortable in the kitchen and have a decent sense of spices and which foods are healthy or, what we call "strong" foods.

There are plenty of recipe books for kids, but have fun with this. I find that when they are responsible for cooking their own meals, they make healthier choices.

I'd love to hear your experiences with this.

No comments: