Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Simple Ways to Reduce Obesity. If you're a parent, you're going to want to read this!


Why is childhood obesity pandemic? Here's one of the simple answers:

Are you aware that annual US per capita consumption of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) grew from 0 pounds in 1967 to 53 lbs in 2008, according to the USDA?

What is HFCS? A highly refined clear liquid derived from corn starch. When HFCS is ingested, it goes straight to the liver and turns into fat. Unlike other carbohydrates, HFCS does not cause the pancreas to produce insulin, which acts as a hunger quenching signal to the brain. As a result, we don't feel satiated when we consume foods that contain HFCS.

Studies are finally showing the dangers of HFCS! A group of researchers from Princeton found that rats that consumed high fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those that ingested basic table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

Why is HFCS so popular among food manufacturers? Because it prolongs shelf life at a relatively low cost.

How can you reduce HFCS from yours and your childrens' diet?

1. Eliminate almost all the sweetened drinks - Drink JOOS and water instead:
If you think you're quenching your or your children's thirst by giving them soda, Gatorade or any of these sweetened drinks, you're really feeding them poison - and
dehydrating them in the process.

2. Home cook as much as possible: Many restaurants tend to use HFCS.

3. Make certain you read all labels when you shop. Incidentally, if there is an ingredient you are unable to pronounce, don't buy the food. Ingredients should be easy to read like: wheat, corn, egg, etc. Why are you buying foods that contain chemicals that do NOT assimilate in the body?

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

2 comments:

Amy G. said...

Love the blog! It's amazing when you read labels just how much C-R-A-P (pardon my language) is in the food we feed ourselves and our families. Even in a loaf of bread!

My kids and I have been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on the computer (they are ages 9, 6 and 3) and I have been teaching my oldest how to read food labels. She's been learning a lot and is just as surprised as I am what is in "healthy" food.

But the most important thing we can do is model good eating behavior. My kids see my green smoothies every morning, but even though they don't want the smoothie with greens in it, they have been having fruit-only smoothies (of course, I sneak avocado and what I can in there when they aren't looking). I am hoping to slowly introduce the greens -- and perhaps my first order of JOOS will help!

Lauri said...

Hi Amy,
I wish there were more mother's like you who is such a great role model for your children. If more mothers were like you, we wouldn't have pandemic obesity and disease.

I agree with you about my kids not always liking the greens, but I also believe, like you, that if we keep introducing them to these foods in a non nagging way, they eventually will eat them.

I also love what Jamie Oliver is doing for our country.

Thank you for your post.

To your health!
Lauri