Friday, May 14, 2010

Oprah and Women Food and G-d - The JOOS Cleanse can help you break the diet cycle!


I listened yesterday to Oprah's interview with Geneen Roth, who wrote the must read book, Women, Food and G-d. There are seven basic principles in the book that I'm not going to review right now because the MOST important part is, as Oprah and Geneen say (and I 100% agree), you are not going to follow these principles until you get to the root of why you're overeating.

Geneen Roth's premise is that "The way you eat is inseparable from your core beliefs about being alive...When you begin to understand what prompts you to use food as a way to numb or distract yourself, the process takes you deeper into realms of spirit and to the bright center of your own life."

I counseled a woman who "told" me she wanted to lose weight, but I could tell from our first meeting that, consciously or not, she really didn't want to lose weight. She went on multiple diets to prove that she was doing everything she could to lose weight, but nothing worked because, in her mind, she was destined to be overweight. She was undergoing a lot of pain and suffering, but each time I tried to pull it out, she retreated and said, "my pain is not nearly as bad as other people's."

Gallant? I don't know. To me, it's irrelevant if her pain is worse or better. The bottom line is that she needs to resolve that pain - let herself FEEL THE PAIN - if she is going to move forward with her life on a road to happiness. Many people do not want to go there.

Plain and simply, she is self-medicating through food to numb the pain so no matter what diet she goes on, it won't work and she'll continue to feel the pattern of feeling like a failure.

Food for thought.

No comments: