Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 3

As my first Reboot heads into the weekend, I'm feeling pretty good (although this beautiful Friday afternoon weather most certainly evokes my subconscious desire to reach for a beer while listening to the Redsox game and grilling something that was once swimming or grazing). I am becoming very aware of benign habits that I have developed over time...things like eating at a certain time of day regardless of whether or not I'm truly hungry, associating certain situations with certain foods (thinking about Buffs Pubs wings during last nights Patriots Game) or simply the subconscious visits back and forth between the fridge and pantry thinking that something was just going to magically appear in the time since I had last checked (usually under 10 minutes earlier!).

In addition the benign habits, here are a couple of quick additional observations on my first 3 days of the JOOS Reboot. First of all...I feel way more "conscious" about the way I am eating. Making decisions about what travels past my lips has moved from the sub-conscious to a point where I actually take a moment to ponder whether or not I am "allowed" to eat certain foods. Fortunately, I happen to be a food lover (with the exception of Goat Cheese...which I think tastes like dirty socks) so the Reboot has been more of a quest to determine what i CAN eat versus a struggle to eliminate things that I CANT. My big meal of the day (usually taken between the hours of 10 and 3) has consisted of brown rice, lots of veg, beans and fruit. I happen to love all of these foods so finding something to satiate my appetite has been no problem. This is a great time of year to Reboot since some many delicious fruits and vegetables are in season and can be purchased locally. One great thing about the JOOS Reboot is that it is not a starvation cleanse...rather it is an exercise in mindful food selection. I have been joking with Jess and calling it the "EATboot", with the idea being that you must EAT, but you also must avoid: mEAT, whEAT, swEET and anything from a tEET (dairy).
Ok, looking forward to sharing more next week. I have been getting lots of questions about the JOOS Reboot so I will try to answer some in future posts. Be well. -Dan

No comments: