Friday, October 16, 2009

A quick, nutritious and delicious meal idea

I wanted to give you an idea just how easy this cleanse can be, even when you feel like you’re constantly on the run and have no time. I just had a dinner of quinoa (that I made a big batch of 3 days ago in my rice cooker) with Trader Joe’s Eggplant Garlic Spread. This spread was so good that I had it on a couple more Mary’s Gone Crackers. So delicious and I’m stuffed! Moreover, it took me all of 3 minutes to make. Make certain to wash it down with lots of water.
Enjoy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great!

Sasha said...

I love my mom's meals.

Anonymous said...

Here is another quick, nutritious quinoa meal idea...

Simple Quinoa Pilaf with Peas and Almonds
Serves: 4 to 6

3 cups vegetable stock, or water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 1/2 cups raw quinoa
3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning (like Spike or Mrs. Dash)
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
Salt to taste
1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
Bring the water or stock to a simmer in a large, heavy saucepan. Rinse the quinoa well in a fine sieve. Stir the quinoa into the boiling water along with the scallions and seasoning blend. Cover and cook at a gentle but steady simmer until all the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Stir in the peas and margarine, then season to taste with salt. Transfer the pilaf to a serving bowl and scatter the almonds over the top.

Anonymous said...

I've never done quinoa in a rice cooker--I didn't realize it was possible! Both recipes sound like good ideas. We're always looking for more ways to prepare quinoa!