Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Daughter Fia and The Night We Lost Electricty: The little lessons in life can teach us so much, especially about mindful eating!


Our neighborhood lost our electricity for approximately 7 hours on Friday. As I took a walk with my 9-year old daughter, Fia, in the evening, we marveled at people sitting at their dining room tables huddled around candles eating take-out. There were more people out walking than usual and we all greeted each other with warm smiles. The energy in the neighborhood seemed more relaxed than usual.

When Fia and I arrived home, we sat on the living room couch and had a long conversation about her week at camp, friends, anything that came to her mind. Typically, I'd be running around the house doing yet another load of laundry, attending to never ending emails, making beds, etc. I actually had a good excuse to take a breath and give my daughter my undivided attention. Sadly, it felt like a luxury.

For dinner, since I couldn't cook. We had raw nuts and fruits and vegetables I had purchased that day at a farmers market. When I asked Fia if she wanted dessert, she said, "No Mommy, I'm really full." I was, too.

This experience underscored for me how the more stimulus we have around us, the more absent we become because we're so distracted. Less truly is more, particularly when it comes to being present and mindful in the way we eat and deal with the relationships around us.

How many times do we say something we regret because we're over-tired or anxious? How often do we beat ourselves up for turning to food for comfort because we feel so overwhelmed with life?

One of the biggest goals of the JOOS Cleanse is to enable us to regroup. I do the JOOS Cleanse at least 4 times per year, in each season, because inevitably, life creeps up on me and I need to get back on track.

JOOS would love to support you on your road to a healthier lifestyle!

No comments: