Monday, July 27, 2009

Produce Weekly Highlight: Galangal!



I am very excited to add galangal root to your JOOS this week. How did I learn about galangal? One day, I was listening to a radio ad about a product guaranteed to make you lose weight. Curious, I called the company and asked them what the secret was in their product. Answer: galangal.

Galangal is native to Eastern Asia and is very popular in Thai food. Galangal root strongly resembles ginger, but it is more white and creamy than ginger and it also has a distinct peppery flavor which is more like mustard than ginger. In fact, while not exactly "hot" like a chili, galangal has a sharp pungency to it that will make you gasp and perhaps cough a little. So, if you find it too spicy, please let me know and I will take it out of your JOOS. I invite you, though, to bear with the taste because the nutritional benefits are truly incredible. Like turmeric, galangal has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activities. It also may benefit people at risk of cancer, contain lipid-lowering benefits, help emesis and aide in digestion. It is also a source of sodium, iron, vitamins A and C.

Please refer to the link below about galangal, which also includes numerous studies:
http://www.zhion.com/herb/Galangal.html

No comments: